It is that momentos time of the year; Daylight Savings Time. When we “Spring” forward with the hopes and promises of springtime to arrive. Yesterday might have just been the finest Daylight Savings Day ever by way of weather and WEATHER ONLY!
Just last Thursday it was snowing and yesterday you were not even able to grab a parking spot in the local Metroparks. Kids running, bikers, motorcycles, lovers walking hand in hand and runners galore. Kites flying, birds chirping and layers shedding. It was a balmy 68 give or take a few degrees. Now that is what most would call a “Spring” forward!
Had I gracefully approached the loss of an hour I might have gained full appreciation yesterday for Daylight Savings Time. But I sprung forward and landed right on my face. The trek may have been worth it at the time, but trying to navigate through Daylight Savings Day on three hours and a mild to severe hangover made for a slippery ride.
So, I have compiled a list, mostly to myself, so I do not make the same mistakes next year when I “Spring” forward. So, if you will, please learn from my mistakes and never, ever repeat!
Top 10 Things To Avoid the Day/Eve Before Daylight Savings Time
1. Low to no carbs. You have to carb Load! Yes, that’s right, maximum carb consumption! If you are going to consume wine in Margherita fashion, you best get your starch on. Crispy romaine, a few tomatoes and 3 greasy croutons will not absorb that type of wine consumption you silly rabbit. (Note to self: this is not how to consume wine either)
2. Shots – Just Say No! Shots can never be a good thing. With a lack of starch and wine consumption up the yin yang what was I thinking? Shots are just an evil reminder that I am not 21 anymore.
3. Pulling an all-nighter. Real smart. As if losing an hour isn’t enough, I have to close the house down. Who do I think I am? I don’t wear a cape. Go home fool!
4. An oversized Panini stuffed with turkey, cabbage and french fries. These should be illegal as they are stomach aches, among other things, in the making. Especially when consuming this delectable at 1:45 in the morning. How did I go from a fine food and wine enthusiast to a college student?
5. Thinking you are minus 3 kids. Yep, HELLoooo mommy! My Panini loving shot doing wine guzzling a$$ will need to get up with three kids in oh say less than 4.5 hours. I have to maneuver through Daylight Savings Day with my mommy title. No, there is no abandoning post. Ha, ha, dummy, deal with it now. Once you earn that mommy title, it is yours for life! Hangover or no hangover.
6. Getting home at 2:30 a.m. Oops that is now 3:30 a.m! “Spring” forward has sprung. Now we are down to 3.5 hours, 3 kids, one very dirty stomach and a pounding head.
7. Rounding up a big crew to meet at Starbucks pre-spin class at 8:00 a.m. Can’t bail now as I peel myself off my bed linens, slap some cold water on my face and get my workout gear on. OUCH and why do I look so blurry in the mirror?
8. Getting on a stationary bike for a 15 mile, one hour ride at 9:00 a.m. I already have my spin on…in my head! I was so dehydrated I couldn’t even sweat. How in the world did I make it through that class? The whisper of the fan was hurting my head. You go mommy, pedal now, faster and faster. No pain, no gain.
9. “Playing” mommy. There is no such thing unless you are a little girl. So, sure kids, we can go to the park! Fresh air might do us all some good. Let’s take full advantage of this spring-like day and play. You go ahead now, while I slumber under this tree. Who am I kidding? Swinging, hiking, frisbee throwing and uh oh, hello again Panini.
10. Navigate through Daylight Savings on 3 hours of sleep. Never do this on any given day either. Sleep is crucial, beneficial and very much appreciated. Yah, sweetie, there is no nappy, nap like back in the day. You need to push through this day, non-stop, until the kiddies are tucked into bed. But you go girl, have another shot!
So, with all appreciation for what Daylight Savings promises to bring, is it really necessary to “Spring” forward via loss of an hour? As if time is not limited as it is, you have to go and get all short on me? I need you minutes!
I know now not what to do next year. In fact, I think I am going to settle into a nice Daylight Savings Spa Retreat. The H2O plentiful, non-alcoholic, detoxifying, fresh fruit and veggies type. I would rather lose the hour gracefully than party like it’s 1999. (Although, at the time, it was blast!)